Saturday, October 17, 2009

RACE FOR THE CURE

Today is the day for the Race for the Cure in Little Rock. Since I have just celebrated my ten year anniversary as a breast cancer survivor, I had hoped to be at this year's race. I will plan on being there next year for sure, with my brand new hip!

It is such an amazing thing to experience being a part of this day. Seeing that many people coming together in one place to support such a good cause is almost breathtaking.....especially when you are walking over the Broadway Bridge and look and see all the people crossing the Main Street Bridge at the same time. You see people who are survivors, people who are walking in honor or in memory of their loved ones and people walking to support this great cause. I have never been there without starting the race with tears in my eyes...for seeing the memory patches people have on their shirts and for all the people walking together as one, for such a good cause. It is truly such an emotional experience.

My heart swells with pride when I think of all the times my precious Jennifer was walking with me. I know alot of those years she didn't feel like walking at all...but she insisted that she walked with me. The last year that she walked with me, we had to stop and let her rest a bit. We were in the last group to finish.....but finish, we did!

This year I will be a "Jammie Walker" for sure.....but I will wear my shirt today and know and feel how many thousands of other women will be wearing this same shirt today. We will all wear pink, "fight like a girl" and all come together to "save the ta tas"!

No comments: